Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

Oh, For The Love Of Concerts!

     So, if you have read my other blogs, you know that my main reason for wanting weight loss surgery (wls) is for my health.  Getting rid of diabetes is a huge deal to me.  I want to be able to exercise, keep diseases at bay, and FEEL BETTER!
     But now it's time for me to get a little more vain, and envision myself in my smaller (healthier) body!  What will that mean to me?  What will change with what I buy?
     Those that know me will tell you.... I am a nerd!  (And proud of it!) I love clothes that represent the entertainment that I enjoy.  That part of me will NOT change after surgery.  BUT... what it WILL mean is that I will be able to wear the more feminine version of the shirts I currently own!  They seldom sell shirts in ladies cuts for plus sizes.  So all of my shirts are mens.  This has a big plus (at least in my eyes).  My old shirts will not go to waste!  My husband (my Wookie) loves all of the same stuff I do!  He is 6'4", so 2X is perfect for him!  So all I have to do is switch them to another part of the closet.  Problem solved!  How awesome is that?
     I bet some of you are wondering what I am talking about!  For the most part, CONCERTS!  I LOVE going to concerts, and my favorite part is coming home with a shirt to proudly wear in hopes of making other people jealous!  We have been to three Social Distortion concerts!  (If you don't know who they are, well, YOU SHOULD!)  All three times we have been up against the stage!  I am so proud of that fact!  But, unfortunately, that is one show that I have not been able to "show off".  When we went to all of them, I was working so hard at losing weight, and there was no way I was walking out of there with a man's shirt.  I did get an XL sweatshirt, but it ran very small and never looked very good on me.  I have picked up a few shirts here and there with their band name, but all I can get is XL, and they are never very flattering.  If you know the band, you know that they are very into the Bettie Page look, and so it's all about showing off the curves.  While I love that idea, I have a bit more "curves" then I am willing to show!  So, into a box they go, to get lost and forgotten.  But no hard feelings!  I will get there!
     So, since then, I have learned my lesson.  Don't buy things and "hope that someday" you will fit into them.  So now I just go ahead and buy the big 'ole, unflattering men's shirts.  It is a very sad message that entertainers send... women can only be fans if they can wear a size large, but men can be 2X!  Okay, fine!  I'll show off my masculine side!   As long as I can show my pride in my favorite artists.  I love Jack Johnson!  Weird Al Yankovic!  (Yes, I have very eclectic taste!)  And of course I love going to comedy shows: Eddie Izzard!  Family Guy Live!  Have to show it off!  And then there are the shirts I buy offline (love my ebay!) or in stores.  My newest favorite are my True Blood shirts!  So, as you see, my closet is packed with tees!
     Some of these will be harder for me to replace.  Maybe I'll be able to wear some to the gym or something.  But I am SO looking forward to replacing what I can with new slimmer versions!  I mean, come on!  What gastric girl doesn't need a shirt from Eddie Izzard that says "Cake or Death?"  This is going to be the perfect excuse to go back to all of my favorite shows JUST to get my feminine tops!
     And don't even get me started on what shopping will be like at Disneyland!  Heck yeah!!! All of those cute little tops with Pirates, or Jack Skellington!   Get me Mickey, Minnie, and Tinkerbell!  I don't care if they are made for teens, come on!  I have been a fan of these characters and rides for WAY longer!  I am a big kid at heart, what can I say?
     I am sure that by the time I have lost the weight I will be ready for a little bit of "high fashion" too, but I refuse to give up some things.  Clothes tell a lot about a person, and I can't wait to tell my true story!

1 comment:

  1. I understand the whole clothes thing! I'm terrible about having "goal clothes". More like "draining the bank clothes"!!

    ReplyDelete